Jackie O So Cute

I’m jumping foward a decade into the late 60’s because I am particularly drawn to two styles from this period: capes and a line dresses with a short hemline.

il_570xN_387975794_oo3oil_570xN_383542700_df7k

The pattern is Simplicity 5480: Girls Cape Dress Coat from 1972 , size 3. I wanted the cape to be warm so I chose a heavy weight wool and lined the cape with the wool as well. The fabric is primarily red and black plaid with a touch of yellow. I thought this would look fantastic for a Christmas cape. The pattern its self is so simple consisting of just 2 pattern pieces. I trimmed the arm openings in black ribbon and accented with two vintage style black and silver floral buttons and closed with a single hook and eye closure. I love this style because it will fit the girls for many years to come!

il_570xN_395788124_8i8f

The second pattern is Simplicity pattern number 7403: Little Girl’s A line Dress with Pleat from 1967, size 4. I found a blue/purple polka dot lawn cotton (very fine and lightweight, 100% cotton). I found a matching chiffon flutter flower trim to accent the pleated panel on the front of the dress. I orginally thought of making this dress out of red santa velvet trimmed in white fur. Maybe a later project.

Cut and pin flowers to front. There is a long hidden pleat that will open between the double flower strip. Add zipper and sleeves and done. Now to convince my girls that this is so much more fashionable than their Disney Ariel princess tutu dress.

166170

image

Baby Bugs

5/13/13-The woman who bought the dress was kind enough to send me professional photos that were taken of the little girl wearing my dress! Just adorable.

icm_fullxfull_26238169_pnbb0mgt3asc4swog0ok

icm_fullxfull_26231506_rjkatltiohcs80w4g4gkicm_fullxfull_26231508_f5zrq9u0d5skgw44okwwicm_fullxfull_26231524_rtwyqo0l8sgwc4oo4g8o

 

 

I was recently contacted to sew a custom pinafore for a 14 month old baby girl. The dress will be her fliower girl gown in a wedding. I’m very excited about this for two reasons: I’ve never sewn a garment for use in a wedding or made a pinafore this small!

This dress was originally designed by a past customer who wanted to re-create a pinafore she remembered wearing as a child in the 50’s. I left the design of the gown in her hands and drew up a series of sketches matching her description of her long-lost dress. This is where the white organza pinafore with the lady bug insert and red rick rack trim on tall ruffles over an all white pettiskirt came about. Oh, and did I mention 3″ hem and very large sash?

I’m working with McCalls pattern number 1605, child’s ruffled pinafore from 1951 size six. I had to majorly shrink down the pattern tissue both horizontally and vertically to fit a one year old. Suprisingly, I had no problems with the conversion (thanks to my customer for providing great measurements). Essentially, a pinafore is a dress that can be worn over many different dresses. This style is a two layer dress containing the outer pinafore and the under pettiskirt. Both pieces button into one another.

il_570xN_319929741

First I laid out my bib insertion design then pieced them together. Symmetry is key!

image

image

I then started with the pettiskirt and making the continuous lap (opening to the back of the skirt). Now, when I first worked continuous laps, I thought I would never make such perfect openings as my Mam-maw had. The dresses she made me as a little girl: the laps were flat and perfect. I’m happy with these laps; my best yet.

image

So I continue on to gather the skirt with the use of my ruffler a/k/a P.I.A. This tool is a blessing and a curse. It completely omits the old-fashioned basting stitch and pulling the threads to create your gathers but you have no idea how much it will gather. I like a uniform look so I always use it. Anyhow, I had to regather the skirt 3 times. I’ve had worse. I attach the bib to the waist band and soon that will connect to the skirt.

I’ve also done this with the organza lady bug bib and skirt. The organza skirt is very full since the nature of the material is sturdy and full of movement.

image

Next I work the ruffles and finish one edge with a rolled edge on my serger and stitch the rick rack over top of that. Back to the gathering foot to ruffle the strips. They really bunch up!
image

image

image
The ruffles are then pinned flat to the shoulder strap pieces; two per strap. I fold them inside the strap and stitch it closed leaving ends open to turn inside out. I use a hook pulling tool. They look like long sausages and are packed tightly!
image

image
And out come all the lovely ruffles.
image
I sew the straps directly onto the bib and attach to waistband. This bib is pinned to the organza skirt and I serge off a nice neat edge.
image

image

image

image

image
Bib is attached to skirt and done! Ready to mail.