6/12-The sunsuit is done- just need to fit buttons. I added an extra row of ruffles which really fills out the rear- you can never have enough bottom ruffles! This is one of my favorite patterns.
I decided to redo the ruffle sunsuit in yellow. I want Jane to wear this sunsuit and she looks so beautiful in yellow with all that blond hair. It is the same concept as the previous but with yellow crochet trim, yellow duck embroidered and I decided to trim the ruffles in a yellow rolled edge. A rolled edge on my serger is one of my favorite stitches in conjunction with the ruffler foot on my sewing machine. It certainly can create a nice ruffle effect without having to finish the edges.
I use a 4 thread serger by brother. You will find that if you are really into sewing- a serger really is a nice tool to have. Just be prepared to take a half hour to thread the darn thing!
The sunsuit is done. I’m very happy with the result. Just need to hem. I love t!
I was thrilled to start this new pattern from the Chicago Tribune c. 1940. I have never worked a mail order pattern before and was eager to see what this was like. The envelope was mailed to Lois Rissman in Somonzuk, IL. She paid 25¢ for the pattern and 15¢ for postage. I mention it of course because that is what makes this pattern so unique.
So perhaps the Tribune stopped publishing patterns because they were just no good at it. The instructions completely missed 2 pattern pieces on the fabric cut layout picture and never mentioned them in the instructions. Now I know they were important! They were ruffle pieces. I just had to figure where they worked in.
Secondly, reading this stuff is like reading an old English text. I am instructed to “lap the belt” when it wants me to fold over the waistband or “fell the fabric” instead of fold.
The next issue was the opening at sides. The instructions gave direction for making side openings for this garment but the images show absolutely no opening not to mention there is no way the sides could open given the fact that the ruffles go all the way around the panties.
Despite setbacks and misdirection, I managed and am very happy with the progress thus far. I opted for white fabric with red loop trim and embroidered a sweet redwork sunbonnet pattern on bib.
It sure is ruffley – and just when I thought I was done with that ruffler!